Share “Rough seas prolonged rescue of family,...”

Rough seas prolonged rescue of family, sick baby

Published on NewsOK Modified: April 10, 2014 at 4:21 am •  Published: April 10, 2014

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The family of four with a seriously ailing 1-year-old had already struggled for days aboard their 36-foot sailboat by the time skydiving National Guardsmen answered their distress call from hundreds of miles off the Mexican coast.

"They were elated, they were ecstatic," when the four pararescuemen jumped 1,500 feet out of an aircraft into the open sea to reach them and stabilize the child, Capt. Lejon Boudreaux, combat rescue officer for the California Air National Guard, said Wednesday after the family was delivered safely to San Diego.

Eric and Charlotte Kaufman along with their daughters Cora, 3, and Lyra, 1, had been on a round the world cruise when Lyra's illness forced them to call for help.

But even with the arrival of the rescuers, their ordeal on the open Pacific Ocean was hardly over.

For the next 3 ½ days the family and the crew members huddled together on the disabled boat as 8-foot waves pounded them. The boat took on water.

By the time a Navy warship reached the Rebel Heart, strong winds and rough seas kept sailors from reaching them for hours.

A helicopter pilot from the warship, the USS Vandegrift, said visibility was so poor he requested a flare signal to pinpoint the sailboat.

When sailors from the Vandergrift finally reached the sailboat Sunday morning, 5- to 8-foot waves forced them to offload one person at a time to a pitching rescue boat. The effort took two hours.

"Stand on top of a 6-foot ladder, have a friend throw a bucket of saltwater in your face, rinse and repeat for two hours," Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class Ian Matthew Gabriel said in describing the conditions.

But once the rescue boat started speeding toward the frigate, Cora began to laugh in amazement.

"The 3-year-old was having a ball. She thought it was the most fun thing ever and the rest of us were white-knuckled," Lt. Junior Grade Chris Cheezum said.

The sailboat had to be sunk. The family was only able to save a few of their belongings.

Despite their ordeal, the family looked like typical vacationers in a photo released by the Navy after the ship docked at Naval Air Station North Island. Father Eric was dressed in shorts and a baseball cap while lugging bags, and his wife walking behind, holding Lyra in a strap-on carrier and grasping Cora's hand.

Continue reading this story on the...