RPM re-signs Ambrose, Almirola for 2013 season
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) — Richard Petty Motorsports has re-signed Sprint Cup Series drivers Marcos Ambrose and Aric Almirola for the 2013 season.
Ambrose, who won at Watkins Glen earlier this season, will be teamed with crew chief Drew Blickensderfer. Almirola will be paired with veteran crew chief Todd Parrott.
"We have shuffled our Cup team lineups a few times this season to maximize our results," RPM director of competition Sammy Johns said. "We feel that the chemistry that we are developing now with both teams is very strong. We have seen marked improvement over the past few weeks. ... We feel confident that both teams are capable of competing for wins and making the Chase next season."
It will be Ambrose's third season at RPM. He will again be behind the wheel of the No. 9 Ford. It will be Almirola's second season in the No. 43 Ford.
Both drivers changed crew chiefs twice this season while searching for the right combination.
Ambrose started the year with Parrott, then had former Joe Gibbs Racing crew chief Mike Ford before being paired with Blickensderfer, Jeff Burton's former crew chief, a couple of weeks ago. Ambrose is 18th in the Sprint Cup standings, with three top-five and eight top-10 finishes.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims