Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will play for Barons on Sunday
Barons center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who left Friday's game after getting hit in the mouth with a stick, participated in practice Saturday morning and will play in Sunday afternoon's game against the Texas Stars.
NewsOK Related Articles
Nugent-Hopkins, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 NHL Draft, had an upper front tooth chipped and another pushed back.
“I didn't think I'd be able to keep it to be honest with you,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “(The dentist) said he could reposition them. ... It was an accident. He didn't mean to do it on purpose.”
Nugent-Hopkins, 19, will wear a full face mask hockey players refer to as a “cheese grater” or “cage.” He last regularly wore a full face mask at age 15 in midgets with the Vancouver Northwest Giants.
“It restricts you a little bit, but once you get used to it, you learn to live with it,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “Obviously you grew up playing with them.”
Opponents have played physically against the Edmonton Oilers' young stars that are playing with the Barons during the lockout.
“It is chippier down here (in the American Hockey League),” Nugent-Hopkins said. “You just have to play around that kind of stuff.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates