Ryder scores twice, Stars beat Red Wings 2-1
The Red Wings killed 3:55 of power-play time after Brunner and Kyle Quincey took back-to-back minor penalties in the second. While short-handed, Detroit's Valtteri Filppula beat Lehtonen to the goalie's right, but the shot hit the post and stayed out.
"Always when you hear that noise it's not fun, but I was happy to see it come back," Lehtonen said.
Howard was terrific in the second, stopping Tom Wandell's stuff attempt and later denying Trevor Daley when he had a chance from in close.
"I thought we were fine in the first. Then we started turning the puck over all over the place in the second. We weren't mentally sharp all night," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "I think we looked like we were out of gas."
Detroit nearly tied it in the first minute of the third, but Lehtonen stopped Zetterberg at the doorstep, then slid to his left to prevent Brunner from knocking in the rebound.
Dallas added its second goal after Ray Whitney had his shot blocked. He retrieved the loose puck and sent a nice cross-ice pass to Ryder, whose quick wrist shot went past Howard.
Howard's best save might have been a few minutes later when Reilly Smith stickhandled past a Detroit player and lifted a backhander from point-blank range that Howard gloved.
NOTES: The Red Wings honored the memory of former public address announcer Budd Lynch during the first period. Lynch, a veteran radio broadcaster who spent more than 60 years working for the team, died in October. ... Jagr remains a goal behind Luc Robitaille for 10th place on the NHL's career list. Jagr has 667 goals. ... Brunner scored in a shootout in Monday's victory over Columbus, but this was his first real goal.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?