Saint-Etienne beats Lille to make League Cup final
PARIS (AP) — Saint-Etienne beat Lille 7-6 in a dramatic penalty shootout to reach the League Cup final on Tuesday, staying on course for its first major trophy in more than 30 years.
After the teams finished level at 0-0 after extra time, Saint-Etienne winger Yohan Mollo missed his spot-kick early into the shootout. Then, with the scores tied at 4-4, Lille midfielder Florent Balmont had a chance to send Lille into the final but his weak kick hit the post.
The next five takes were converted until Lille midfielder Idrissa Gueye sent his kick high over the crossbar to give Saint-Etienne the win.
Saint-Etienne, which has not won a major trophy since clinching the French league title 32 years ago, plays the winner of Wednesday's other semifinal between Rennes and Montpellier.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11235Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 11138Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5575Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5081Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4332OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4278Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4021How to help tornado victims