Share “Saints TE Thomas credits wife's role in...”

Saints TE Thomas credits wife's role in comeback

Associated Press Modified: June 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm •  Published: June 13, 2012

METAIRIE, La. (AP) — Saints veteran tight end David Thomas struggled in the past year with activities as natural as playing outside with his young boys.

A pair of concussions during the 2011 NFL season left him so sensitive to light that even sunglasses weren't much help.

And when his infant daughter cried, his wife, Kassidy, would whisk her away so the noise would not worsen her husband's symptoms.

If Thomas had to make a choice between family and football, it would be the former. For now, however, he is back to training and practicing vigorously, drawing praise from coaches and teammates — thanks to a compromise that allowed him to pursue a comeback with some piece of mind.

Thomas asked his wife to take part in every doctor's visit, to join him on trips from coast to coast as he sought out a half-dozen top neurological specialists for opinions on whether it was safe to get back on the field.

"It was important for me to, every time I spoke with the doctor, have her listen in and ask questions of her own, because the last thing I wanted was to come back and her not be comfortable and her be worried about me," Thomas said. "It was important for her to be involved with the whole process because it doesn't just affect me. It affects her and it affects our kids. We just had to really listen to each other and listen to the doctors and just work together and trust each other."

Kassidy Thomas first met her husband in eighth grade in Lubbock, Texas, and they started dating when they were juniors in high school. By now, she knows the seventh-year NFL pro out of Texas well enough to notice changes in him, be it an increased frequency of headaches or unusual mood swings — both symptoms of concussions.

She notices things that her husband does not notice about himself, and she said that neurologists routinely questioned her even more than her husband about his symptoms.

"I feel like they received even more information by us going in together. There were things he hadn't noticed, such as irritability," Kassidy Thomas said. "It meant a lot to me that he was including me. It meant a lot that he was putting our family first, that he was willing to walk away if that was best."

Thomas' first concussion of 2011 occurred when the Saints hosted Houston in late September. While being spun around, he took a heavy helmet-to-helmet hit. Doctors ruled him unfit to return to the game, and he wound up sidelined for six weeks.

His next concussion came in his second game back at Atlanta. Kassidy Thomas stayed home with the kids, watching on TV, and when she stepped away to put the kids in bed for a nap, she heard the cellphone ring tone she had assigned to calls received from her husband, and knew immediately that something was wrong.

Continue reading this story on the...