Salas part of McDaniels' pipeline
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) — The Josh McDaniel pipeline is alive and well.
The New England Patriots added another receiver with ties to the offensive coordinator this weekend, hoping to bolster a corps that suddenly looks thin after three established veterans were released.
Greg Salas was acquired from the St. Louis Rams on Saturday for an undisclosed future draft pick. Salas was taken by the Rams in the fourth round of the 2011 draft out of Hawaii and played in six games for the Rams last season, finishing with 27 receptions for 269 yards before a leg injury ended his season. McDaniels was the team's offensive coordinator last season before rejoining the Patriots for the playoffs.
The trade followed the release of veterans Donte' Stallworth, Jabar Gaffney and Deion Branch, although the Patriots might bring back Branch after the first game.
Salas joins veterans Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman and Matthew Slater.
"I play hard and I'm here to do anything the team asks me to do," Salas said.
He has played both in the slot and wide, giving the Patriots depth behind Welker and Lloyd, respectively.
Salas was asked about the challenge of joining a team one week before the first game after spending the entire training camp elsewhere.
"Just refreshing myself with the material and concentrating on everything about the team," Salas said.
"He's got some versatility and we'll put him out there and see how it goes," coach Bill Belichick said.
Belichick said Salas was productive both in college and with the Rams until his injury, and that McDaniels' firsthand experience with him also played a role in the deal.
"We had a good feel for him before Josh was here just based on our scouting department and working him out and getting ready for the draft and all that," he said. "Of course Josh spent some time with him so that was some additional input."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13578Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10346Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8794Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7680Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5623Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5418Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?