Savvy Senior: Getting Social Security may help boost your benefits
If, however, you want or need more help, there are specialized firms and financial advisers that can advise you for a fee.
One of the best is Social Security Solutions (socialsecuritysolutions.com, (866) 762-7526), which offers several levels of service including their “Premier Plus” plan that runs multiple calculations and comparisons, recommends a best course of action in a detailed report, and gives you a one-on-one session with a Social Security specialist over the phone to discuss the report and ask questions. The fee for this service is $125.
Premier Social Security Consulting (premiersocialsecurityconsulting.com, (800) 518-0761) is another option that offers several consulting packages, ranging from $75 to $295.
Or, you can get help through a fee-only financial adviser who specializes in Social Security analysis and charges on an hourly basis.
To find someone use the Garrett Planning Network (garrettplanningnetwork.com, (866) 260-8400), which offers the services of 300 independent advisers nationwide. The cost for a Garrett adviser ranges between $150 and $300 per hour.
Send your senior questions to: Savvy Senior, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070, or visit SavvySenior.org. Jim Miller is a contributor to NBC's Today show, KFOR-TV and is author of “The Savvy Senior” book.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 21059Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6693OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5627Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4676Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4297Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater