SC tourism group changes name, gets new president
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The South Carolina tourism lobbying group whose president killed himself earlier this year is changing its name and getting a new leader.
The South Carolina Hospitality Association says it will now be called the South Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Association.
The organization also named John Durst as its new president Thursday. Durst was director of the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism in former Gov. Jim Hodges' administration.
Durst replaces Tom Sponseller, who founded the hospitality group more than 20 years ago and served as its public spokesman and chief lobbyist.
Authorities say Sponseller shot himself to death in February after discovering that the association's accounting director had embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars. Rachel Duncan has pleaded guilty and been sentenced to prison.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 13135OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7091Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6692Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6620Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5959Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5205Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5081Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers