School gun bills need thoughtful review
NewsOK Related Articles
Several school administrators oppose the bill, but hundreds of teachers and other school personnel have reportedly signed up for free firearms courses.
One size won't fit all schools dealing with security challenges. And without funding for training, this particular discussion may be moot. We've cautioned against knee-jerk reactions, pro-gun or con, in the school security debate. We recognize that the issue raised by Lamb would also apply to armed guards.
What's most important is for lawmakers to be just as thoughtful in developing policies to protect children and bystanders as the Secret Service is protecting the president.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes