Search for real answers to prevent mass killings
In the wake of the brutal murder of 20 innocent children and six adults in Connecticut, all Americans are devastated. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who've suffered an unimaginable loss. People are searching for an answer and a way to prevent future atrocities. The solution most frequently being put forward is to restrict certain firearms or high-capacity magazines.
NewsOK Related Articles
As a gun owner, I realize many people dislike firearms and eagerly latch onto the idea of stricter gun laws. I'm not asking that you like firearms but that you take the time to think over the issue. This tragedy at its core involved a mentally ill killer and the inability of school officials and teachers to effectively defend those in their care. Restrictions on law-abiding gun owners won't change these two things.
The Founders wisely recognized our right to self-defense against evildoers and tyrannical governments by stating in the Bill of Rights that citizens have the uninfringed right to keep and bear firearms. I don't ask that you like firearms but that you love freedom. Join the search for real answers to prevent mass killings. Make no mistake: Additional restrictions on what guns or high-capacity magazines can be sold will do nothing to prevent such killings but will be a dangerous step toward gun confiscation. Loss of firearms would be disastrous for our liberty and put the weak, elderly and vulnerable at the mercy of criminals.
Marley Beem, Stillwater
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 97533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13957Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9425Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8660Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8311OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7700How to help tornado victims
- 7421Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges