SEC names Russell, Jones Sturgis players of week
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell is the Southeastern Conference offensive player of the week, Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones received defensive honor and Florida kicker Caleb Sturgis turned in the top special teams performance.
The SEC named the winners on Monday.
Russell completed 20 of 29 passes for 222 yards and three touchdowns against Auburn.
Jones had nine tackles, two sacks, an interception and two forced fumbles against Missouri. He also recorded five quarterback pressures.
Sturgis hit a 51-yard field goal and scored eight points in Florida's 20-17 win at Texas A&M.
Co-offensive lineman of the week honors went to Kentucky guard Larry Warford and Mississippi guard A.J. Hawkins.
LSU end Sam Montgomery and Damontre Moore shared defensive line honors.
LSU cornerback Jalen Mills is freshman of the week.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11434Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11103Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9903Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8455Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4574Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4269Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4107OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M