Share “Security tight for shareholder meeting”

Security tight for shareholder meeting

Chesapeake shareholders were greeted by tight security as they entered the company's annual meeting Friday.
by Adam Wilmoth Modified: June 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm •  Published: June 8, 2012

Chesapeake Energy Corp. shareholders were met by lockdown security Friday as they entered the northwest Oklahoma City campus for the company's annual meeting.

A 6-foot-tall fence with black mesh encircled the main campus between Western Avenue, NW 63 and Classen Boulevard. Each entrance was blocked by a barricade, Chesapeake security and Oklahoma City police officers.

“There have been other shareholders meetings that were significantly impacted by activists,” Chesapeake spokesman Michael Kehs said. “Our first priority was to look after the safety of all our guests and employees. We wanted to make sure it was orderly.”

Kehs said there were no security issues Friday.

“It was a wonderful day,” he said. “It was beautiful weather and a good, constructive meeting.”

Shareholder David Ridenour said he was surprised by the calm tone at the meeting.

“Frankly it was a lot more sedate than I was anticipating based on all the press coverage,” he said. “We've been to a lot of shareholder meetings this year, probably 15 or 16. In a lot of them there are those folks who show up and take over the meeting. They are radical. They won't stop talking and don't talk in a respectful fashion.

“I don't think that's particularly productive. They don't do their cause any good and don't really get answers to their questions by screaming at the CEO.”

At Friday's meeting, shareholders were directed to a building in the center of the campus, while reporters were sequestered in a different building along Western. The media parking lot was fenced in, separated from the rest of campus.

Shareholders were required to check all electronic devices — including cellphones — before entering the auditorium.

Recording devices were banned in the media room as well, and Chesapeake spokesman Jim Gipson said the company did not record the meeting.

Shareholders watched the meeting from a 222-seat, lime green auditorium. A few empty seats were scattered throughout the room, and about 20 people stood along the back wall. Attendees said about 100 people watched the meeting from an overflow room.

Continue reading this story on the...

by Adam Wilmoth
Energy Editor
Adam Wilmoth returned to The Oklahoman as energy editor in 2012 after working for four years in public relations. He previously spent seven years as a business reporter at The Oklahoman, including five years covering the state's energy sector....
+ show more


  1. 1
    This Russell Westbrook Promo Will Get You Jacked For His 2015-16 Season
  2. 2
    Lawton product Mike Warren has record-setting day for Iowa State
  3. 3
    Slain man's body discovered northwest of downtown Tulsa
  4. 4
    Beware of new smart chip credit card scams
  5. 5
    What is phubbing, and is it ruining your relationships?
+ show more


× Trending energy Article