Shaquille O'Neal entertains crowd at OSU
On the NBA superstar's bucket list: Visit London, buy a pro team and ‘to remain sexy'
STILLWATER — Few people on the planet could be appropriately introduced with music by Aaron Carter and Sir Mix-A-Lot.
Or get away with calling Oklahoma State students Oklahoma Sooners — twice.
Or reminisce about dunking on Cowboy basketball coach Travis Ford.
Shaquille O'Neal is one of those characters.
The former NBA superstar and entertainer extraordinaire visited Gallagher-Iba Arena Tuesday night for a panel discussion hosted by OSU's Student Government Association that featured questions from Ford, former Cowboy guard Keiton Page and a number of students. Along the way, a dance-off also broke out.
Here are some highlights from the hourlong session.
What is the biggest lesson you learned in the NBA?
The biggest lesson I learned in the NBA was how to become a leader. A lot of people like to talk about the drama that Kobe (Bryant) and I (had). But on the outside looking in, you wouldn't understand that I was in a CEO position and I had to push one of my employees very hard. … The true definition of a great player is how you make the players around you better. When he first came in, he was really raw, but I stayed on him a lot and kept pushing him (and) pushing him, and he pushed me. I think that's why we were the best 1-2 duo ever created.
What do you hold in higher regard: your NBA MVP in 2000 or your first rap album going platinum or your MBA?
What about Kazaam? You know, it's crazy, I've got more Kazaam fans here than anywhere in the world. Probably my biggest award is the one I'll receive this May 5. I'm receiving my Ph.D. from Barry University. That's probably the biggest one.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad