Sharapova advances to Australian Open semis
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Four-time major winner Maria Sharapova has advanced to the semifinals of the Australian Open with a 6-2, 6-2 win over fellow Russian Ekaterina Makarova.
The second-seeded Sharapova reached her 16th career Grand Slam semifinal in 66 minutes on Tuesday. She broke Makarova's serve five times and hit 22 winners.
Sharapova has dropped only nine games en route to the semifinals, including a pair of 6-0, 6-0 wins.
Sharapova next plays sixth-seeded Li Na of China, who defeated Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska earlier in the day, 7-5, 6-3.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister