Sharapova breezes into China Open quarterfinals
BEIJING (AP) — Maria Sharapova breezed into the China Open quarterfinals Thursday with her third straight-set win this week.
The No.2-ranked Sharapova defeated Slovenian qualifier Polona Hercog 6-0, 6-2 to advance to a quarterfinal against either Angelique Kerber of Germany or former No. 1-ranked Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark.
Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka was playing Elena Vesnina of Russia in a later third-round match, and seventh-seeded Li Na was due to face Peng Shuai in an all-China night match.
In men's singles, Mikhail Youzhny of Russia dismissed South Africa's Kevin Anderson 6-3, 6-3.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law