Sharia law is clear and present danger to West
Regarding Ă˘â‚¬Ĺ“Judge issues injunction against Sharia law banĂ˘â‚¬Âť (news story, Nov. 30): A group of civilian and military national security professionals has released a 177-page report called Ă˘â‚¬Ĺ“Sharia: The Threat to America.Ă˘â‚¬Âť Members of the team include former CIA Director James Woolsey. a former director of the CIA. The report explains that there are two basic views of Sharia. One side views it as a reference point for a Muslim's personal conduct. The other seeks to impose a totalitarian regime on everyone. To that group, Sharia is an immutable, compulsory system that Muslims are obliged to install and the world is required to adopt. Failure to do so is deemed a damnable offense against Allah.
For these people, Sharia isn't a private matter. They see the West as an obstacle to be overcome. To them, it's impossible for legal systems and forms of governments such as ours to coexist peacefully with the end-state they seek. Therefore, it's important for Oklahoma to defend State Question 755. The non-peaceful view of Sharia is a clear and present danger to our way of life.
Donna V. Carlton, Edmond
The referenced report was released in September by the Center for Security Policy and can be found at www.shariathethreat.com.
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes