Shaun White charged with public intox, vandalism
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Two-time Olympic gold medalist snowboarder Shaun White faces charges of public intoxication and vandalism, accused of drunkenly destroying a phone at a Nashville hotel and ending up in the hospital after he hit his head.
Officers responded to the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel at 2 a.m. Sunday after a drunken man identified as the 26-year-old White pulled a fire alarm, forcing the hotel to evacuate all guests. An employee also reported seeing White destroy a hotel phone.
White tried to leave the hotel in a cab before being stopped by a hotel guest who told the driver police had been called. According to police, White kicked at the man before running away. The man chased him and they collided when White turned around. White, who is also one of the world's top skateboarders, fell back and hit his head against a fence, police said.
White, who appeared to be drunk, was given the opportunity to sign misdemeanor citations and refused, police said. A spokeswoman for Baptist Hospital said White was treated there and released on Monday before being arrested and booked by police. A mug shot released by police shows White with a black eye.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in