Shawnee community rallies around injured girl
Raegan Permetter, 11, was seriously injured in a hit-and-run accident in Shawnee Sept. 26.
IF YOU GO
Admission to Raegan Dayz is by donation at the gate. The T-ball tournament is $22 per person and includes a Raegan Dayz T-shirt. Organizer Billy Mitchell said he is looking for more vendors and donations of equipment for the event. For more information, call Mitchell at 882-9259.
It's just been astonishing. We knew that we loved her, but there have been so many people who have shown they love her, too. Words can't describe it.”
Benefit is planned
Family friends have organized Raegan Dayz, set for Nov. 16-18 at the Bethel Baseball Fields. The event will include an adult T-ball tournament, live music, an appearance by champion noodler Don “Katt Daddy” Brewer and an Elvis impersonator.
“It's just been astonishing,” Ealy said of the community's response. “We knew that we loved her, but there have been so many people who have shown they love her, too. Words can't describe it.”
Family friend Billy Mitchell decided to organize what he thought would be a small benefit that has turned into something much bigger. He said the goal is to raise as much money as possible to help with expenses not covered by insurance. Vendors will also donate a portion of their proceeds to the family.
“It's just blown up over the last five days,” Mitchell said. “We've had so many people who want to take time out to help.”
Mitchell's own daughter battled kidney failure as a toddler.
“My daughter's situation isn't as traumatic as Raegan's, but I know what it's like to have a child in and out of the hospital,” he said. “I know what it's like to need help but not know how to ask for it.”
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments