Shields makes Royals debut in 5-4 win over Padres
PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) — James Shields' spring training debut for the Kansas City Royals went by so quickly, he wound up in the bullpen to increase his pitch count.
Shields threw nine of 13 pitches for strikes in the first inning on Thursday's 5-4 win over the San Diego Padres, helping the Royals improve to 6-0-1 in the exhibition season.
"It's funny. There's just something about a guy who's your number one guy," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "There's just a special aura, and it was there when he was out on the mound. It was just really fun to see him out there."
Obtained in December as part of the six-player trade that sent top prospects Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi to the Rays, Shields has reached double digits in wins and 200 innings in six straight seasons.
He relied on fastballs and changeups, with his velocity topping out at 94 mph. He retired Will Venable on a groundout and Logan Forsythe on a flyout, then struck out Jesus Guzman.
Kansas City had Shields on a 30-pitch limit.
"It felt great to be out there again, rocking and rolling," he said. "Spring training is a little early this year, so we wanted to keep things simple, really take our time with this thing. We have a long season to go."
Padres starter Jason Marquis also made his spring training debut, allowing one hit in two shutout innings. Expected to be San Diego's No. 3 starter, Marquis is working on adding changeups to his sliders, sinkers and cut fastballs. Former Padres closer Trevor Hoffman has given advice.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister