Shipping companies, U.S. Postal Service prepare for busiest holiday season yet
FedEx was expected to handle a record 19 million shipments Monday, and the U.S. Postal Service says Monday, Dec. 17 will be its busiest day of the year.
Videoview all videos
Dec 10FedEx was expected to handle a record 19 million...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
At a glance
Busiest holiday shipping days
• Postal Service: Monday, Dec. 17
• UPS: Thursday, Dec. 20.
• Postal Service: Dec. 20 for first-class, Dec. 21 for priority and Dec. 22 for express.
• UPS: Dec. 19 for 3-day select or Friday, Dec. 21 for next day air, delivered on Monday, Dec. 24.
Metro area post offices won't offer extended holiday hours, but two facilities already offer customers extra time. The facility at 6500 Air Cargo Road is open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Center City Station at 305 NW 5 is open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
Use technology. The Postal Service website allows customers to schedule a package pick up, print out postage and order stamps and shipping supplies.
UPS offers “My Choice,” which gives customers the ability to sign up for text message or email alerts about their shipments, as well as reroute or reschedule deliveries.
Don't reuse a box, seal it with packing tape (not wrapping tape) and cushion the contents with packing peanuts or newspaper.
Never guess a ZIP code. Look it up at www.usps.com.
If you are mailing battery-operated items like toys, remove the batteries and ship them separately (but in the same box.) If an item inside a package starts ticking or rattling, it could require additional screening, causing delays.
Print the recipient's address inside the box as well as on the outside, in case the label falls off.
Source: The U.S. Postal Service and UPS
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims