Shirataki noodles defy rules of pasta
Shirataki noodles are giving dieters a fresh — albeit slightly different — way to have their pasta and their New Year's resolutions.
CHICKEN AND SHIRATAKI NOODLE SOUP
Start to finish: 30 minutes
10 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups shredded carrots
1 large stalk celery, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Three 8-ounce packages fettucine-style shirataki noodles, drained and well rinsed
4 cups shredded cooked skinless chicken breast (about 1 pound)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
• In a Dutch oven over medium heat, bring the broth to a boil. Add the carrots, celery, ginger and garlic. Cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
• Add the shirataki and chicken, then simmer until the noodles are just hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the dill and lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information per serving: 150 calories; 15 calories from fat (10 percent of total calories); 1.5 g fat (0 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 45 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 3 g sugar; 24 g protein; 1020 mg sodium.
Young was first introduced to shirataki by a home cook in the Philippines, who used the carb-free noodles all the time because she was diabetic, but still wanted pasta. Young says she adds them to homemade broth with fresh vegetables, or simply prepares them with a good quality soy sauce and toasted sesame oil.
Because of their bland flavor and chewy texture, Young advises picking companion ingredients for shirataki carefully. Salty and bright, tangy flavors work well, along with crisp textures and even the toothsome quality of cooked mushrooms and meats. This way, she says, every bite will have that perfect blend of taste and consistency.
To give shirataki a more pasta-like consistency, also try dry roasting them in a well-oiled or nonstick skillet over high heat for about a minute (be careful not to burn them) before adding them to your favorite dish.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated