Shute elected to W.Va. Golf Hall of Fame
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Hermon Densmore "Denny" Shute has been elected into the West Virginia Golf Hall of Fame.
The West Virginia Golf Foundation says Shute will join Bill Campbell, Sam Snead, Ed Tutwiler and Harold Payne in the Hall of Fame.
Shute honed his golf skills as a club pro in Huntington. He won West Virginia Amateur titles in 1923 and 1925. As a pro, he won the 1933 British Open and back-to-back PGA Championships in 1936 and 1937. He won 12 more PGA events and competed on three Ryder Cup teams.
Shute was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2008.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims