Siblings surprise Edmond mother with Christmas recital
About 40 family and friends were treated to a one-hour classical musical recital in honor of Hiromi Hood at the Y Chapel of Song at the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond on Wednesday.
EDMOND — A surprise musical recital for your mother isn't the typical gift under the tree, but it's exactly what five adult children gave their mom, Hiromi Hood, for Christmas this year.
About 40 family and friends were treated to a one-hour classical musical recital at the Y Chapel of Song at the University of Central Oklahoma on Wednesday. It was in honor of what the children said was the “Hiromi Hood School of Music” and Hood's decades of “instruction, patience and persistence.” Daughter Ami Mariko Hood Frost also called her mother's tutelage “forceful encouragement.”
When it was over, it was one of the more appreciated presents ever received by Hood, she said.
“I am so proud,” she told the gathering, while on the verge of tears.
The recital had been planned since the fall. Performing were Kenta Thomas Hood, 30, piano; Frost, 29, violin; Rika Renee Hood Burr, 27, flute; Kenji Scott Hood, 25, horn; and Mika Marie Hood, 24, cello. Sallie Pollack provided accompaniment on piano.
Family friend Maureen Vick was typical of those in attendance.
“This is great,” Vick said. “It's really unusual to have all five children at the orchestra level. They are all so talented.”
Hiromi Hood was surprised by the gift after being a bit baffled by the Christmas gift exchange, which was anything but normal.
“I kept seeing them (the children) exchange presents, but I noticed there was nothing for me,” she said. “Finally they gave me one gift, and it was a framed copy of today's program.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 96583Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17286OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13078Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8797Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8670Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8388How to help tornado victims
- 7627Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort