Six fishing flies every Oklahoma fly angler should carry
Don't leave home to fly fish without these lures
Editor's note: Tom Adams is general manager of Backwoods in Oklahoma City and a fly fishing instructor. He will be teaching a fly fishing school on the Lower Illinois River next month with former wildlife commissioner Mark Patton. For more information, call 340-1992.
NewsOK Related Articles
So much water. So little time.
Fly anglers have many opportunities to fish for trout in Oklahoma. Planning a trip to the Rocky Mountains each summer to scratch your fly fishing itch can be time consuming and costly for most anglers.
Oklahoma has two year-round trout streams, the Lower Mountain Fork and Lower Illinois rivers, and winter trout fisheries at Blue River, Lake Watonga, Lake Carl Etling, Lake Pawhuska, Robbers Cave and the new addition at Medicine Park.
The more I get to fly fish the more I want to fly fish. It's an addiction that has taken hold of me has its steely grip securely embedded. On my explorations of Oklahoma trout waters, I have learned that there are some flies that I don't want to leave the house without. These flies will work in Oklahoma as well as any trout waters in the United States.
Wooly Bugger: Arguably the best searching pattern ever developed for fly fishing. The size and color can vary. I have black, olive, brown and white in sizes 8-12 loaded in the box. This pattern imitates the leech, small baitfish and the damsel fly very well.
Gold Bead Pheasant Tail Nymph: This fly imitates the mayfly nymph which is in all bodies of fresh water that are cold or warm. I have seen them in Oklahoma City on my windshield. A large version of the mayfly is the Hexagenia. It comes off Lake Hefner in large swarms every summer. Go with hook sizes 12-18.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley