Slain Yukon firefighter hurt in '09 antique store fire
Devin Nemecek, 47, of Yukon inhaled toxic air at an antique store fire in February 2009, his former fire chief said. Nemecek was shot to death Tuesday after barging into a Piedmont police officer's Yukon home.
YUKON — Devin Nemecek, the retired firefighter shot to death Tuesday after barging into a Piedmont police officer's Yukon home, was a dedicated, safety-
Videoview all videos
Apr 19Warning: Graphic content. Listen to the 911 call on a...
Apr 19A Piedmont police officer shot and killed a man this...
Photoview all 10 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Nemecek needed oxygen treatments as a result of injuries suffered at an antique store fire on Main Street on Feb. 1, 2009, former Yukon Fire Chief Jeff Lara said.
He said Nemecek was exposed to toxic air when his breathing apparatus malfunctioned.
Nemecek, 47, could have been hallucinating or confused because of low oxygen levels when he approached the residence of officer Jack Neumann, 37, about 8 a.m. Tuesday, Nemecek's family has said. Nemecek lived a few houses away from Neumann, but they did not know each other.
Yukon police said Nemecek attacked Neumann with a metal yard sign before Neumann, who was returning home from work, shot him.
Nemecek was already a Yukon firefighter when Lara joined as an assistant chief on April 3, 1995, Lara said.
Both were among the first to arrive 16 days later in downtown Oklahoma City to deal with the aftermath of the bombing.
Lara remembered Nemecek as an aggressive and skilled firefighter.
“He was protective of his crew and himself,” said Lara, who promoted Nemecek to his final rank of captain.
“You have to have an inherent trait I refer to as situational awareness, where you have to focus not only on what you're doing, but you have to be aware of what's going on around you. He had that. He knew when to push forward and when to back away.”
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments