Smith helps Campbell defeat Virginia-Wise 10-0
BUIES CREEK, N.C. (AP) — Braden Smith passed for 200 yards and a touchdown as Campbell overcame a rough start to defeat Virginia-Wise 10-0 Saturday night.
In a scoreless first half, each team missed one long field goal attempt and had another blocked, with the Camels also turning the ball over twice.
Campbell (1-1) finally pulled ahead on a 21-yard field goal by Sam Eberwein with 7:07 left in the third quarter. With 8:57 remaining, Smith hit Alex Green for a 2-yard TD.
The Camels had 320 yards total offense while holding the NAIA Cavaliers (1-2) to 175 yards, including only 45 yards rushing.
Smith was 21 for 33 with one interception. In the Camels' 31-20 season-opening loss to Shorter, he passed for 336 yards with 29 completions, both school records.
Josh Williams added 23 carries for 89 yards for Campbell.
Virginia-Wise's Tye Marshall was 10 of 20 for 130 yards with one interception.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims