Smith scores 30, leads Hawks over Bobcats 104-92
The Hawks led most of the way by a comfortable margin, although Charlotte did cut the lead to seven with 5:40 left. That's when Johan Petro knocked down a 3-pointer and Smith hit a long jumper to keep the Bobcats at bay.
Charlotte never mounted another challenge after that.
The Bobcats have not won at home since Nov. 21.
The Hawks led by seven at halftime but quickly stretched that lead to 17 midway through the third quarter as Smith took control inside.
When he wasn't scoring on jump shots or drives to the basket, Smith was passing to Korver, who continued to knock down shots. Korver was 8 of 11 from the field and seemed to shatter the Bobcats' hopes every time they appeared poised to make a run.
"When Josh plays that type of game he is one of the best all-around players in this league," Sessions said. "You know he can post up, make passes and hit jump shots. He was playing well tonight from all aspects of the floor. He is tough to guard when he is like that because he is really a small forward but he can also post up so he is a tough matchup."
Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap accepted responsibility for his team's recent struggles at home.
"The frustration is high," Dunlap said. "When you're in charge, and I'm in charge, that frustration has to be handled the right way."
Dunlap said that's why he doesn't show much emotion. He knows it's all about building for the future, which means developing young players.
"We're doing certain things here and unfortunately we're going to have nights like this," Dunlap said.
NOTES: Jeff Teague had 10 points for Atlanta, finishing in double figures for the 30th time this season. ... The Bobcats continue to struggle to get balanced scoring production from their starters. In fact, their five starters barely outscored Smith, combining for just 31 points. ... Charlotte's big men, Hakim Warrick, Bismack Biyombo and Jeff Adrien, combined for just 12 points, while Gana Diop and Tyrus Thomas didn't even play.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12316OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7699Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6657Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6438Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5739Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4894Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4675Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers