SOCHI SCENE: Retirement 2.0 for Begg-Smith

Published on NewsOK Modified: February 10, 2014 at 12:09 pm •  Published: February 10, 2014

KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia (AP) — Dale Begg-Smith means it this time. He's done.

The two-time Olympic medalist in men's moguls says he's putting his skis up for good after failing to reach the medal round on Monday night. It marked the first time the 29-year-old failed to make it out of qualifying since January 2005, a stretch that included gold in Turin in 2006 and silver at Vancouver in 2010.

It also included a three-year sabbatical brought upon by injury before he decided last fall to make one final attempt to reach the podium in Sochi.

Begg-Smith, who was born in Canada but competes for Australia, could never find a groove on the slushy Rosa Khutor Extreme Park course. His first run was a sloppy 19.74 that was good for only 19th, well outside the top-10 who advanced automatically.

It got even worse on his second trip. He botched the landing on his final jump, smacking face-first into the kind of chunky white stuff you'd typically find on a snow cone.

"It was a desperate move to change lines and I knew the line I was on wasn't working for me," he said. "There wasn't much I could do when I landed on my face."

The infamously reticent Begg-Smith doesn't regret his comeback, which appeared to be heading in the right direction after with a fifth-place finish at a meet in Finland last month. Instead, his Olympic return ended with his first early exit in nearly a decade.

Continue reading this story on the...