Social Security Q&A: Moving could delay receipt of new card

The Social Security Administration answers readers’ questions about benefits
Modified: February 7, 2014 at 9:20 pm •  Published: February 9, 2014

Q: I recently applied for a replacement Social Security card, but I might move before it arrives. What should I do if I move before I get it?

A: Once we have verified all your documents and processed your application, it takes approximately 10 to 14 days to receive your replacement Social Security card. If you move after applying for your new card, notify the post office of your change of address and the post office will forward your card to your new address. If you do not receive your card, please contact your local Social Security office.

To get a replacement, you will have to resubmit your evidence of identity and United States citizenship, or your lawful immigration status and authority to work. Learn more at


Q: What's the average monthly Social Security benefit for a retired worker? How is the retirement benefit amount calculated?

| |


Trending Now


  1. 1
    Tulsa World: Frank Haith named Tulsa's new men's basketball coach
  2. 2
    Transgender Icon Claims She Was Banned From Facebook For Using 'Tranny' And 'Shemale'
  3. 3
    Actor Ken Jeong picks Kendrick Perkins for his biopic
  4. 4
    The Story Behind Viral Photo Of OKC Bombing Victim's Grandbaby - - Oklahoma City, OK -...
  5. 5
    WATCH: Top 10 crossovers of the NBA season
+ show more