Social Security Q&A

Social Security Q&A.
Published: January 26, 2014

Q: How can I get a new Medicare card?

A: If your red, white and blue Medicare card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can request a new one at However, you can use our online application only to request a Medicare card. If you need a Medicaid card, please contact your state Medicaid office.

SSI eligibility

Q: My parents recently moved into a retirement community and they are signing their house over to me. Can I still get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or will homeownership make me ineligible?

A: You can own a home and still receive SSI as long as you live in the home you own.

In most cases, when determining SSI eligibility we don't count as a resource the home you own and live in or the car you use.

For more information about SSI and Social Security, go online to, or call (800) 772-1213 (TTY (800) 325-0778).

This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, call toll-free at (800) 772-1213. For more information, go online to