Softball, baseball bidding to return to Olympics
Here's a look at sports that were dropped from the Games and returned, and others that haven't come back.
The International Olympic Committee announced on Tuesday wrestling will be dropped for the 2020 Summer Games, which will open a spot for one sport.
Videoview all videos
Feb 12Uncut interview with John Smith on Tuesday's decision to...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Seven sports are making bids to be included in the 2020 Games. Besides wrestling, the other sports are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu, a martial art.
The IOC limits the Summer Games to 28 sports.
In 2009, the IOC voted to reinstate golf and rugby in 2016 as the 27th and 28th sports.
Golf hasn't been an Olympic sport since 1904. Rugby was last played in the 1924 Olympics. Rugby will feature the seven-man version.
DISBANDED SPORTS THAT RETURNED
Archery: Dropped (1924); Returned (1972)
Golf: Dropped (1908); Will return (2016)
Handball: Dropped (1940); Returned (1972)
Judo: Dropped (1968); Returned (1972)
Rugby: Dropped (1928); Will return (2016)
Tennis: Dropped (1928); Returned (1988)
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M