Software growth helps IBM boost 4Q earnings
For the full year, IBM earned $16.6 billion, or $14.37 per share, up 5 percent from $15.86 billion, or $13.06 per share, in 2011. Adjusted earnings were $15.25 per share last year, above analysts' estimates of $15.14.
Revenue declined 2 percent to $104.5 billion from $106.9 billion. Analysts had expected slightly lower revenue of $104.4 billion.
For 2013, IBM expects earnings of at least $15.53 per share. It expects adjusted earnings of at least $16.70, above the $16.65 that analysts were expecting.
The company said it is "well on track" toward its long-term outlook for adjusted earnings of at least $20 per share in 2015. By 2015, it also expects software to account for more than half its total profit. In 2012, software accounted for 45 percent of IBM's profit, up from 43.5 percent a year earlier.
Armonk, N.Y.-based IBM's stock rose $8.37, or 4.3 percent, to $204.45 in after-hours trading. The stock had closed up $1.61 at $196.08 in the regular session.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister