Some new ND lawmakers readying bills of their own
Natural gas prices have also declined nationwide as production ramps up, Kiefert said, making the fuel an attractive alternative for passenger cars and trucks, as well as city buses, garbage trucks and other vehicles that are normally driven within a limited area. It costs about $2 to buy compressed natural gas that would supply the same energy as a gallon of gasoline.
"That's something we could be putting into our vehicles, but the problem is, we don't have the refueling stations," he said. "They're not just developed yet, but once they're developed, there's a lot of vehicles that could be burning it."
Setting up a station can cost $500,000 or more, Kiefert said. "We could probably speed the process (of setting up a fueling network) by about five years," he said. "They are kind of spendy to put in."
Sen. Tom Campbell, R-Grafton, said he was considering ideas that would help ease North Dakota's labor shortage. Any proposal is still a few weeks away, he said Tuesday. The state's unemployment ranks among the nation's lowest, and competition for workers has forced up wages.
"We can do everything we want here with oil or ag or whatever, and if you don't have any employees, we're spinning our wheels," Campbell said.
Sinner and freshman Sen. Tyler Axness, D-West Fargo, said they also would advocate proposals to raise state tuition aid expenditures for low-income college students, establish a scholarship endowment fund and direct the state-owned Bank of North Dakota to provide lower interest rates for student loans.
"There needs to be a lot more emphasis on the state level on making sure college is affordable," Axness said Tuesday.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit