Some vegetables that grow best in Oklahoma
With the kick-off of the vegetable gardening season, I am often asked to recommend some of my favorite vegetable varieties. Vegetables that need to be planted now or in the very near future are onions, potatoes and asparagus. Yes, there are other vegetables the can be planted in the early spring, but I think variety selection on these three is very important.
With onions, I highly recommend the Texas 1015Y. The Texas 1015Y is an onion that will be sweet almost anywhere it is grown; it is not as dependent on soil type in order to make it sweet. When it comes to potatoes, I love the Yukon Gold potato. I do not believe there is a better potato to prepare as a new potato.
Red LaSoda is another variety that makes an excellent new potato. Red LaSoda is preferred over Pontiac Red potato since it has shallower eyes and is easier to clean. When looking for asparagus crowns, look for Jersey Giant or Jersey Knight. Both of these are all male varieties. Since they are all male, they are not burdened with having to produce seed and all of their energy can be stored to produce larger spears.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit