SoonerCon 22 came to a close on Sunday, and while Sunday was a more laid-back affair than Saturday, there were still plenty of panels and events to enjoy, interesting items to buy, and talented people to meet. SoonerCon is a multi-genre convention, and this year was held at Reed Conference Center in Midwest City.
- Kenny Pitts, star, and Adam Hampton, writer-director of the Oklahoma action vigilante film “The Unusual Calling of Charlie Christmas” were on hand at SoonerCon. Pitts said the film’s Saturday night showing was well-attended. Some merchandise from the film can be ordered online, as well. This film features a socially awkward janitor who finds new purpose as a costumed vigilante. You can see the costume from the film and a poster in the photo gallery below.
- Johnnie Johnson of Equinox Comics joined Phil Hollecker and Angela Lowry for a kid-focused panel on Drawing Fantasy Art. The three artists were helpful and instructive. Among their advice: Get a sketchbook and draw something every day; push yourself to draw different kinds of things; be willing to collaborate. In the gallery below, Johnson draws a dragon at the panel.
- Kevin Stark of the Toy and Action Figure Museum in Pauls Valley says the museum will again celebrate International Superhero Day in August. More information on what that will involve as it grows closer! Stark was also willing to pose in a fun way with the new helmet for Rivet, the museum’s mascot (see below).
- R.J. Woods of New Myth Comics was on hand at SoonerCon this weekend showing off the line of mythology-inspired superheroes featured by the company. New Myth has a launch party set for July 13 to celebrate its comics lineup; more information via the event Facebook page.
- I had a great time with the encore presentation of the trailer for “The Posthuman Project.” Thanks for those who came by and checked out the trailer and comic book for the project.
Of course, much more went on all weekend; overall great job by the organizers of having a well-run event with lots of entertainment options! I hope to hear more in the coming days about the overall attendance and other information from the con.
- Matt Price