Oklahoma football: Sooners' offensive line suddenly short on experience
This front line might be the most inexperienced since 2009 — and that season, Sam Bradford was injured in the first half of the opener against Brigham Young.
NORMAN — Oklahoma's offensive line is suddenly its most inexperienced since the 2009 season, and remember how that turned out?
I'll refresh your memory: In the first half of the first game of the season, on two straight plays, the same BYU linebacker blazed through gaping holes in OU's line and leveled Sam Bradford.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The second time, the returning Heisman Trophy winner suffered a shoulder sprain, missed a few games, hurt the same shoulder again and his season — and OU career — was finished.
But there is still reason for hope as the Sooners forge through this strange stretch: Who the heck knows what might happen to make the offensive line woes better?
After all, it was a mere three weeks ago when the questions at Big 12 Media Days, directed at Bob Stoops, Landry Jones and, yes, center Ben Habern, all focused on how Jones could possibly carry on with such inexperience at wide receiver, and how Habern led a veteran offensive line that was one of the team's strongest units.
Today, the receiver situation seems much less critical with the additions of junior college transfer Lacoltan Bester and Penn State refugee Justin Brown, both of whom have impressed coaches through fall camp. That's in addition to a freshman group that too seems poised and ready to contribute.
Meanwhile, offensive linemen are suddenly the biggest concern in Soonerland after Habern decided to call it a career because of lingering back and neck issues, and senior Tyler Evans tore his ACL on the first day of practices, taking with them 59 career starts.
Just a couple days before fall camp started, at the Sooner Caravan event in Oklahoma City, Bob Stoops reassured the concerned OU faithful that the situation at wide receiver would be fine.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes