Sooners picked in preseason baseball poll to win Big 12
NORMAN — For the first time in the program's history, Oklahoma has been picked as the preseason favorite to win the Big 12 Conference baseball title.
The conference office released the preseason coaches' poll on Tuesday. The Sooners received six first-place votes and 78 points while Texas received the other four first-place votes and 76 points.
Texas A&M, Baylor and Kansas State round out the top five, followed by Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri. Iowa State and Colorado do not field baseball teams.
Oklahoma is coming off its 10th College World Series appearance and the Sooners are ranked in the top 10 in most national preseason polls.
Oklahoma coach Sunny Golloway says the Sooners are honored to be picked as the favorite but “will remain humble, hungry and driven.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort