Source: Negotiations with OKC Thunder coach Scott Brooks are progressing
The team is now believed to have offered Brooks a four-year deal worth roughly $16 million
Contrary to a report published earlier in the day, a source familiar with the situation said late Friday that negotiations for Thunder coach Scott Brooks' contract extension are “progressing.”
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
An ESPN The Magazine article stated OKC general manager Sam Presti and Brooks' agent, Warren LeGarie, “Have to find a middle ground. Soon.”
The report also quoted a source saying, “We're not close, and the clock is ticking.”
Throughout negotiations, Presti has expressed the team's desire to retain Brooks as coach. Presti reiterated that stance when contacted Friday, but he refused to share an update on negotiations.
The ESPN report said the Thunder originally offered Brooks a three-year extension worth between $11 million and $12 million before this past season.
With OKC winning this year's Western Conference title to advance to the NBA Finals, where it lost 4-1 to the Miami Heat, the team is now believed to have offered Brooks a four-year deal worth roughly $16 million.
Brooks' contract expires Saturday. He reportedly made $2.1 million last season when the Thunder picked up the option year on his three-year deal.
Yahoo! Sports cited sources who claim Brooks could be a candidate for the Portland Trail Blazers and the Orlando Magic coaching positions.
The Magic is under the direction of new general manager Rob Hennigan, who was hired away last week after serving as the Thunder's assistant general manager the last four seasons.
The 46-year-old Brooks became OKC's interim coach after the team started out 1-12 in the 2008-09 season under coach P.J. Carlesimo.
Brooks has since gone 174-125 (.582) in the regular season and 24-19 (.558) in the postseason.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister