Southampton beats Villa 4-1 in Premier League
SOUTHAMPTON, England (AP) — Southampton scored four second-half goals Saturday to come from behind to beat Aston Villa 4-1 for its first points in the Premier League since being promoted.
Trailing 1-0 to Darren Bent's 35th-minute opener, Southampton hit back through Ricki Lambert twice plus goals from Nathaniel Clyne and Jason Puncheon to provisionally rise from last in the 20-team standings to 17th in its first season back in the top flight since 2005.
Lambert struck in the 58th minute and from the penalty spot in the 90th, while Clyne found the net in the 63rd and Puncheon nine minutes later at St. Mary's Stadium.
Villa dropped a spot to 14th place after five rounds, two points above the drop zone, in its first season under manager Paul Lambert.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims