Southmoore's Austin Haywood drawing lofty Sooner comparisons
Austin Haywood knows how to take advantage of the big stage.
Four Oklahoma coaches, including Bob Stoops, showed up on the sidelines for Southmoore's meeting with its rival, Moore.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
"If he was going to freeze up at any time, that would have been the game," said Chris Jensen, Haywood's coach at Southmoore. "But he put on a show."
Haywood caught three touchdown passes, ran for one and threw another to teammate and OU 2011 commit at quarterback, Kendal Thompson.
Haywood, the state's No. 2 recruit and No. 7 tight end in America, has drawn comparisons to a pair of impressive former Sooner tight ends, Keith Jackson and Jermaine Gresham.
"He could be a national award winner as a junior or senior if he develops the way he should," Jensen said of the 6-4, 245-pounder.
Haywood also played defensive end at Southmoore, and battled Texas commit DeMarco Cobbs and Oklahoma State commit Calvin Barnett as the best prospect in Oklahoma.
"He's just one of the best athletes I've ever seen," Jensen said. "With his size, strength, hands and speed, he's got a lot of tools to work with."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister