Spaniard jailed in Cuba flies home to finish term
MADRID (AP) — A Spaniard sentenced in Cuba to prison for the death of a prominent dissident arrived back in Spain on Saturday to serve the rest of his four-year term after an agreement between the two governments.
Angel Carromero Barrios, a Spanish regional political youth leader, lost control of his car and crashed on July 22, killing passengers Oswaldo Paya and Harold Cepero. Paya was a well-known opponent of the Cuban government and Cepero was also a dissident.
Carromero flew into Madrid's Barajas international airport with a police escort alongside Miguel Vives, another Spanish citizen sentenced to 18 years prison in Cuba for drug trafficking.
The governments of Cuba and Spain applied a bilateral accord dating from 1998 which allows for the enforcement of each other's criminal judgments.
A spokesman for Spanish penitentiaries said Carromero was taken into custody on arrival and would be driven to Segovia jail, 110 kilometers (68 miles) northwest of Madrid to serve the remainder of his sentence. He spoke on condition of anonymity in keeping with Interior Ministry rules.
Aron Modig, a Swede who was also riding in the car at the time of the crash and who, along with Carromero, was accused by Granma of getting involved in political activities while visiting Cuba on tourist visas, said he was relieved that his Spanish colleague had returned to Spain.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister