Spirit Airlines to begin service from BWI
LINTHICUM, Md. (AP) — Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport is welcoming Spirit Airlines as its newest carrier.
Spirit will begin service from BWI to Dallas-Fort Worth and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Thursday. The airport will welcome the first arriving Spirit flight with a "water salute," a traditional greeting for new carriers in which fire engines spray water over the arriving aircraft.
The new carrier comes on the heels of the busiest month in the airport's history. More than 2.2 million passengers flew through BWI in July, eclipsing the previous mark, set in July 2011.
Spirit is a discount airline based in Miramar, Fla. It's known for offering low base fares and charging fees for bringing luggage or using other services.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley