Sporting Lisbon fires Belgian coach after 2 months
LISBON, Portugal (AP) — Belgian coach Frank Vercauteren has left Sporting Lisbon after the team won only two games in two months.
The Portuguese club said in a statement late Monday that squad manager Jesualdo Ferreira will take over the coaching duties.
Under Vercauteren, a former Belgium and Anderlecht coach, Sporting recorded two wins, five losses and four draws in 11 matches. He took charge in November and was the club's second coach this season.
Sporting is 12th in the 16-club Portuguese league and was knocked out of the Europa League. The team hasn't won the Portuguese title since the 2001-02 season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments