Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Heisman Trophy already resides in Norman with quarterback Sam Bradford. If Griffin wins one of the recognized player of the year awards, OU would become the first school in history to sweep the two sports. Griffin headlined the Sporting News All-America Team, joined by Pittsburgh’s DeJuan Blair, Davidson’s Stephen Curry, North Carolina’s Tyler Hansbrough and Arizona State’s James Harden. The Sooner sophomore leads the Big 12 in scoring at 22.1 points per game and leads the country win 14.2 rebounding average. Griffin owns the OU single-season record with 25 double doubles, which ties him for the nation’s lead. His 425 rebounds are a Big 12 season record. And his 13 games of at least 20 points and 15 rebounds are six more than any player in league history. Behind Griffin, the Sooners are ranked No. 6 in the country and were 27-4 heading into Thursday’s Bedlam matchup with Oklahoma State in the Big 12 Tournament.
Sporting News joins Athlon Sports, FoxSports.com in naming OU's Blake Griffin best player in America
Projections have prepped us for Oklahoma’s next major award winner.Now, there’s proof. Blake Griffin: Player of the Year. Sporting News joined Athlon Sports and FoxSports.com Thursday in naming Griffin the premier player in America. While none rank as college basketball’s five major player of the year awards, the honors suggest what has become a growing notion that Griffin will dominate when the voting is complete.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12316OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7699Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6657Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6438Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5739Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4894Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4675Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers