St. Leon-Rot in Germany to host 2015 Solheim Cup
DENHAM, England (AP) — Germany will host the Solheim Cup for the first time after the St. Leon-Rot golf course was awarded the 2015 tournament on Monday.
The club, near Frankfurt, has previously hosted the European Tour's Deutsche Bank SAP Open, where Tiger Woods was a three-time champion. Woods made his European debut at St. Leon-Rot in 1999.
John A. Solheim, the chairman of golf equipment maker PING, said "the Solheim family is thrilled with the selection."
German player Sandra Gal was part of the victorious 2011 European team and says, "I can't wait for Germany to host the 2015 Solheim Cup. It will be a fantastic experience for our golf in Germany."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates