Stamkos scores 10th goal, Lightning top Leafs 4-2
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Steven Stamkos and the Tampa Bay Lightning chased a hot goalie with a solid performance.
Stamkos scored his 10th goal, Benoit Pouliot had three assists and the Lightning beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-2 on Tuesday night.
Vincent Lecavalier, Alexander Killorn and Matthew Carle also scored for the Lightning, who have won two in a row after an 0-5-1 skid.
Toronto goalie Ben Scrivens had his bid for a third consecutive shutout thwarted midway through the first period on Lecavalier's goal.
"Hot goalie or not, every night is a different night," Lecavalier said. "We played patient and it paid off. We took advantage of they played last night."
Scrivens keyed the Maple Leafs' 3-0 win at Florida on Monday.
"It seems like I was getting some fortunate bounces the last couple of games, and today they bounced the other way," Scrivens said. "That's the nature of the game. Those are the breaks."
The Maple Leafs, 7-3-0 on the road this year, got goals from Mikhail Grabovski and James van Riemsdyk.
"I don't know if we demonstrated enough determination or desperation until the last 7 minutes of the hockey game," Toronto coach Randy Carlyle said. "It seemed like we were a flat group for a good period of the game, but at one point I looked up, it was 2-1 after two periods, and we'd only given up 10 shots. If it wasn't for the lopsided number of power plays, I don't know if we would have given up 15 shots in the game."
The Maple Leafs, 0 for 3 on the power play, outshot Tampa Bay 25-19. The Lightning converted one of six man-advantage opportunities.
"They've got a lot of skill, so they can make a ton of plays happen," van Riemsdyk said. "They're a good team, and they were the better team today."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims