Stargazing: The case for Pluto
Astronomers using the Hubble Telescope have recently discovered Pluto’s fifth moon.
I have changed my mind about Pluto. I have decided that it should be a planet after all.
Part of the reasoning that went into the new definition of a planet is that by making Pluto a planet, eventually there might be another dozen or so. Many astronomers were uncomfortable with that idea. Planets shouldn’t be so common, they said.
The definition made in 2006 by the International Astronomical Union demoted Pluto from the ranks of planethood. The planet-killing part of the definition says that a planet must have “cleared...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments