‘Starting experience' a strength for Sooners
NORMAN — Talent trumps everything.
Next on a coaching staff's wish list is experience.
OU has only six senior starters but a ton of experience, more than any team in the Bob Stoops era.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Most preseason publications list the Sooners with 15 returning starters. But that doesn't tell the entire story.
The Sooners return 29 offensive and defensive players that have made at least one start, the most under Stoops' flag as football coach.
Those 29 players have combined for 338 career starts, the third most under Stoops. If not for the Austin Box tragedy, the 2011 team also would have the most combined career starts in Stoops' 13 seasons.
The Sooners have "starting experience" at nearly every position except running back.
Quarterback: (24 starts): Experience at this position is invaluable. Landry Jones was forced into action his redshirt freshman year when Sam Bradford suffered a shoulder injury. A Heisman candidate, Jones threw for 4,718 yards, 38 touchdowns and 12 interceptions last season.
Offensive line: (81 starts) The O-line still has much to prove but has experience. Center Ben Habern is a two-year starter. Guard Tyler Evans has been a starter much of the past two seasons. Guard Gabe Ikard developed into a dependable starter. Tackle Donald Stephenson showed promise his first year as a starter. Tackle Jarvis Jones could be sidelined half the season with a knee injury, but there is good depth.
Wide receiver: (52 starts) Ryan Broyles is a rare four-year starter. An All-American, Broyles already owns many school records. He's a dynamic weapon opposing defenses have to account for. Kenny Stills was a solid No. 2 receiver his first year as a starter. Dejuan Miller and Trey Franks provide good depth.
Running back: (3 starts) There's ample talent but no extensive starting experience. Fullback Trey Millard has only two official starts but essentially started all season as a true freshman. Roy Finch (85) and Brennan Clay (36) combined for 121 carries but only one start. Stoops said it most likely will be running back-by-committee. Freshman Brandon Williams, sophomore Jonathan Miller and walk-on Dominique Whaley could be in the mix.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister