State college football: Langston rises to No. 1 in power poll
Langston is The Oklahoman Power Poll's new No. 1 team. The Lions have won three consecutive games behind a defense that has surrendered just 21 points during the run. Langston has a bye on Saturday, and there are pros and cons to that. A pro is dinged-up players get a chance to recover; a con is the off week might interrupt the momentum. ... Once-mighty Northwestern State has a decent chance to get its first win of the season, hosting up-and-down Panhandle State on Saturday. ... A special mention goes to Northeastern A&M, the lone football-playing junior college in Oklahoma. The Golden Norse is 6-1 and likely headed to the NJCAA playoffs providing it can close the regular season with wins over Texas schools Cisco and Navarro.
1. Langston (4-3): Defense playing well. Lions have won three straight.
2. Southeastern State (2-4): Snapped a four-game losing streak.
3. East Central (3-4): Loss of All-America defensive end Armonty Bryant might be devastating.
4. Bacone (5-3): Time to give Warriors credit. Winners of four consecutive games.
5. Southwestern State (1-5): Blew 17-point lead, lost at home to Arkansas Tech.
6. Central Oklahoma (1-6): Bronchos' next three games are winnable. Seriously.
7. Panhandle State (3-3): Victory-starved Northwestern State is next.
8. Southern Nazarene (1-6): Enjoying the winning feeling again.
9. Northeastern State (0-7): Coming off much-needed bye week.
10. Northwestern State (0-7): Rangers might get No. 1 on Saturday.
Bacone (5-3) at Texas College (1-6), 2 p.m., Tyler
Central Missouri (5-2) at Northeastern State (0-7), 2 p.m., Tahlequah
Cisco, Texas (2-4) at Northeastern A&M (6-1, No. 15 NJCAA), 2 p.m., Miami, OK
Panhandle State (3-3) at Northwestern State (0-7), 2 p.m., Alva
Southern Nazarene (1-6) at Southern Arkansas (5-1), 2 p.m., Magnolia
East Central (3-4) at Henderson State (7-0, No. 11 NCAA II), 3 p.m., Arkadelphia, Ark.
Southwestern State (1-5) at Southeastern State (2-4), 3 p.m., Durant
Bye week: Central Oklahoma (1-6), Langston (4-3)
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion